Sunday, March 25, 2012

Haunting Dream

I used to be a dispatcher. I loved it. The action. The never know what is going to happen next. The making it work when it seems you can't. When almost no one can figure out how to get it done and then you do. It was always an adrenaline rush.
But there was always a downside. It was hard to turn the motor off. You are always thinking. Always going. That is the nature of a dispatcher.
I sometimes have dreams about old dispatch situations.
My wife and I are planning a trip to the Caribbean for December. Because of all the variables I am using my dispatch skills to try and put together the trip in the best possible way. Last night I was working on that. This dream probably came from that.
I rolled into the office.  Two calls. There were no drivers so I decided to just do them myself. I was a great dispatcher but I was also a great driver.  I was always the fastest and the smartest driver. Jonathan handed me the two calls.  Fairly easy.  I was driving my old Pontiac Acadian.  Loved that car. My first real car of my own. Bought it with my summer job money one summer just after I finished high school. That car lasted for years.
 We were in the foreign exchange business. Cheques and cash. But for whatever reason, I had to put large wooden and metal contraptions in my small Acadian to deliver. Got them in, no trouble. It was a dream. In dreams, objects that should never fit in a space magically fit in a space.
 As I was ready to leave, three more calls. No problem. There was always more calls and changes. You learned to go with the flow and make it work in this game. He told me where the calls all were and when each one needed it.  As always,  it never worked out that way. On my way to the first call I couldn't remember the address or where it was.Same old Same old. Found it anyway. In dreams,  you find places that you have no idea how to get to. In real life, I have been able to do that as well.
I found my way there, but was not able to find my out. I was stuck there. Stranded. I always seem to be stranded in my dreams. In life, I am always stranded as well. Luckily, in the dreams I wake up and can just start over.
In real life, I remain stranded.

No comments:

Post a Comment