Monday, October 31, 2011

Where There's Smoke

When I was young I was even more creative and experimental than I am now. I just channel it better these days.
One weekday when everyone was out I decided I would light a candle and wick up, just to see what I could do. I did this in the living room, on the coffee table. Below the coffee table was a very shaggy carpet that stretched all the way to the kitchen, which was quite a distance.
I would have been fine there if I had stopped at just that. But, I decided I would melt some plastic to see what that was like. As I melted the plastic and it was now inside the container holding the candle and wick, the fire got bluer and higher, almost to the ceiling. At this point I began to get concerned, but there was not much I could do about it. 
I waited a bit and the fire and flame got a bit lower, then I grabbed some oven mitts and headed out to the front lawn. I dropped the whole thing, as it was now very hot, onto the front lawn, and the fire now began to light up the grass. Luckily the garden hose was there and primed. I took the hose and put out the fire, and only smoke remained. After about 30 minutes I got the whole thing cleaned up. To this day, you people are now the only ones in the world who ever knew about this. What was I thinking? Not sure. I don't remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment